One of the designs I’m working on for my Level 3 JTA certification needs a “net” effect. The obvious technique there is the one called “net stitching,” but I had also seen another technique that looked like it might work for my purposes in some Japanese books, so I wanted to give it a try. However, since I have already spent about a week doing all the stitching that will be underneath the net, I decided I needed to try the technique out on a lower-stakes test temari first.
I did a variation of the design pictured in the Japanese book I was working from. Since the netting ends up on top, the first thing to do is stitch flowers, one at each pole and then several more randomly placed around the ball. This does mean that you can’t just put on division lines and start stitching away, but I found that I could add my own “division lines” wherever I wanted them pretty easily by using hatch-marked paper circle guides of varying sizes, which I used to place evenly spaced pins and then stitch a 10- or 20-spoke circle with pine needle stitching.
The net technique is hard to diagram, given that it works from pole to pole and one side of the ball to the other for each wrap of thread, so I wasn’t really sure I understood it correctly. As it turns out, I didn’t, but my mistake became readily apparent once I started working. (Hint: There is basically no stitching except to start and stop the thread at the very beginning and end; everything else is continuous wrapping.) Sometimes, loath though I am to admit it, you just have to do before you can really understand.
I worked on this most of Friday night and Saturday, and then on Sunday, the temperature got up into the 60s, so I can only assume that applying the golden net functioned to trap some spring weather!
I’m quite pleased with this! I’m definitely glad I took the time to put on all the flowers, rather than just jumping in and trying the net, because now I have this beautiful finished piece. Educational and artistically satisfying!